A beautiful bouquet brightens up the home! You would want to make those pretty blooms last as long as possible – cut flowers already have a limited lifespan but we want to share a few tricks with you so that you can enjoy them for as long as possible. Don’t forget when purchasing flowers to avoid any cut flowers with browning leaves or petals or drooping heads. Also try to transport them home in some water if possible.
When you buy your flower bunch, follow these guidelines to increase their lifespan:
- After buying the flowers, cut off at least one centimeter off of the bottom of the stems to reopen them
- Make sure to cut your flower stems at an angle – 45 degrees – to increase the surface area through which the flower can absorb water
- Strip off any leaves that would be beneath the water level
- Place your vase in a cool light place out of direct sunlight
- Keep the water clean and change if necessary
Do you have any of your own tricks you use to lengthen the lifespan of your blooms? Share them with us in the comments below!